Tuesday, March 15, 2011

NHL '11 BE A GM : Canucks #1 :A Shaky Start

Thought for today: Why are long weekends never long enough?

Last Monday I decided after giving the game a few test runs at a mates place, to purchase NHL 11 on the PS3. The game arrived on Thursday and I haven't seen much daylight since. I'll try and keep a bit of a nerderiffic story up about this. The game has really eaten into time I possibly should be spending on NBA 2k11, Killzone 3 or you know...normal life.

My team of choice is the Vancouver Canucks. Before I get flamed by choosing one of the best teams in the league, currently. Before I chose them, I had no friggin idea. I'm 23 addictive games into my first season as Vancouver GM. So here's a little back-story. I would normally, be default go to the team from Boston, as I also support the Boston Celtics in the NBA. Once again I'm not on the bandwagon...well maybe. But I always used to play as the Celtics way way back in the days of NBA Jam on Super Nintendo.

The Canucks pre-season started poorly. Losing every pre-season game in OT. Bar one. Which was lost after 2 periods. It was through inablity to score goals, more so the inablity to play defense. The story was about to change as the real season began. The canucks opened up the season with a two game home stand. Both games were won. The first with a goal with little remaining  in OT, the second; a big win over Florida. Another win in OT came against the Ducks. After a nice little 3-0 run, a three game winning streak came to a sudden halt, and the team hasn't really been able to get back into top gear since. Consistent form could not be found with an eventual 3 game losing streak the team has struggled with a 50% winning percentage to date.

23 games into the season, coming off a big win over Calgary (5-3) The Canucks are sitting 11-11-1. Theres still time to find our feet. Some  good trades, and some better defense will certainly improve the Cancuks chances. My next entry will hopefully show a little more in deatil of matches i've played. I'll update some trades I've made. I'll keep doing this for as long as I can be botherd, so it might all come to a grinding half at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment